Barefoot Missionary

Barefoot Missionary

11.06.2014

identity.

The problem with being in ministry is that it can quickly become your identity.  "Hi, I'm Abby and I work with trafficking survivors."

This past week God showed me how I've once again allowed my ministry- what I'm doing for God, what I'm doing for the girls at the home- define who I am.  Yes, I am called to bring light into the darkness of the prostitution industry, but that's not who I am.

"Intimacy", He said to me.  "I created you for intimacy with Me.  This is what I want the most; this is My heart for you.  You are first and foremost My lover, My worshiper... Sex trafficking is the dark world I've called you into, but you were created for relationship with Me!  Your identity is Me."

His words refreshed my spirit, because I realized again that I don't have to "protect" the calling He's placed on my life.  This is all His doing- He called me into this work, He put it on my heart, He is the one who qualifies me.  It's never been about me.  I don't have to stress about making the right doors open up and it's not up to me to figure out how God is gonna break down the global sex trade.  Instead I can just love Him and let Him love me.  Which is way more fun, because He tells me I'm His favorite.  He thinks I'm funny and He likes my blue hair.  He delights in my worship even though I'm off key.  He pursues me and fights for me.  And He's really good at opening doors that I don't expect.

"Hi, I'm Abby and I'm God's favorite!"

(thankful for lovely coworkers!)

3 comments:

  1. This is so true. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. He's teaching me this, and I needed to hear it from someone else too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to let you know I love reading your blog and check for new posts almost every day. ... just in case you ever feel like people aren't interested... I am!

    ReplyDelete