Barefoot Missionary

Barefoot Missionary

9.04.2013

Breaking lies (& plastic forks)

{to my Mennonite friends}

Yesterday I sat on the floor in our laundry room as my Mommy folded clothes, and we talked about life callings and bigger-than-us dreams.  And out of nowhere, Jesus pops into our conversation and starts revealing a bunch of lies I've believed about myself.

As a Mennonite, I will never go far in life.
I will never have a large ministry or a platform to speak from.
I can never be well-educated and intelligent.
I have nothing to offer the secular or mainstream Christian world.
My voice will not be heard.
People view me as being in bondage, and therefore do not value my insight.
There will always be a ceiling over me and my ministry- limiting what I am called to do.

For years, I've been believing the lie that I do not have anything to offer, because of the denomination I was born and raised into.  And to be completely honest, I have been trying to escape the Mennonite church and label for the past several months now.  Partly because I see a much bigger picture of who the Bride of Christ is and what I feel she should look like...but partly because of the pain and judgment and lies I've picked up and experienced from the Mennonite church.

My prophet-mother gets all excited: "Let's break these lies right now!  Wanna break something with your hands to symbolize it?"  Yes please, let's make this moment memorable!
She ran into the kitchen and came back with plastic forks, so I sat on the rug on our dirty laundry room floor and verbally broke lies and cut plastic forks in half. (The forks were cheap and bendy, so I had to settle for a scissors.)

Then I declared truth.  Not the things that I simply want or wish for, but the things that have been burning in my soul for years, the things I hear from Jesus- even when my mind doesn't see how it can happen and my sometimes-religious thought patterns react.

I will break through the ceiling that has been over the Anabaptist people for centuries!
I will have a platform to speak out what God is doing!
I will preach the Gospel- as a woman!
I will travel the world and bring freedom!
I will lead a powerful ministry!
I will reach thousands!


And to be completely honest again, there were tears.  Because my flesh wants to run away from the hurts and judgments all too common in conservative churches.  But God spoke to me that there is a reason He has placed me in the culture in which I was raised.  And just because of who I am, I have the same FIRE inside my spiritual DNA that led the original Anabaptists to walk boldly in Holy Spirit power and turn their world upside down.

I choose to embrace the Anabaptist heritage I was given-- to let go of the religion, the pain, the judgments-- and to take the fire and the culture of honor I was raised with and burst through the ceiling that I feel has been over the Anabaptist people for centuries.
Because Jesus says, "There is no ceiling!"

And yeah, my calling and personal journey is not going to be normal or comfortable, and I have no idea what this will look like practically lived out... Honestly, it will probably offend a lot of people.  But so did Jesus.  And I believe He will show me each day what my life needs to look like...

All I know is that what God is setting up with this generation is unprecedented.
Will you join me in crashing through whatever ceiling has been placed over you, or even one you've placed over yourself?

THERE IS NO CEILING!

(I share all of this only because there are probably others from conservative churches who can relate to and realize similar lies in their own lives.  Everywhere I look, I see glory being restored to the Anabaptists!  And in my opinion, it has nothing to do with where you currently attend church or your personal convictions on Mennonite hot-topics, but everything to do with your spiritual DNA and where God chose to place you... So if you were raised in any sort of Anabaptist culture, take the fire and run!  Don't settle for preserving and maintaining what you've been given-- run faster, build higher, dream bigger!  Give your kids an even greater springboard to leap from one day!  This is only the beginning!)

18 comments:

  1. Love this!!! And you!!! A gigantic AMEN!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! May God bless you for your obedience, and may He bless you in your waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed by this post, Abby! thanks so much for being honest. I get so excited about conservative/Mennonite young people taking the heritage we've been given and allowing God to build on it, and take us to greater and higher heights! Let's not be held back or hindered by a stigma or expectations around us...God has so much more for this generation. Bless you as you keep seeking His face and finding more of what that picture looks like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I have the same FIRE inside my spiritual DNA that led the original Anabaptists to walk boldly in Holy Spirit power and turn their world upside down." -love this line!! love you and your mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't settle for preserving and maintaining what you've been given-- run faster, build higher, dream bigger! love love love this post abby. thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You probably don't know me and I don't want to be a random creepy blog-stalker... But your blog has encouraged and challenged me so many times. Thank you for this post. I needed to hear that Truth. The lies are too familiar in my own life. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcina, I happen to appreciate creepy blog-stalkers. :) Thanks for sharing, glad this spoke to you!

      Delete
  7. Wow! It's good to hear this. I am so excited what's next. Indeed, God has put you there for a reason. Now, you've found out the purpose then go for it. Blessings and protection of our Lord Jesus Christ be upon you always. God bless you! Keeping you in my prayers! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what, you know Betche?? ;0) or should i say she knows you ;0) this was a great post, pointed out to me by my sweet girl. Great great thoughts that my daughters and i and all our whole family wrestle with on a regular basis, being a mennonite totally outside the box (been living in china now for 8 years) reading a story to our children right now about one of our ancestors, WOW we have a lot to live up too. but that is our Heritage, true to the Father through all and in all. May He continue to carry your heart. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciated this article and wanted to encourage you to embrace your anabaptist heritage - not for the heritage itself but because there is so much truth in it. The Anabaptists were awesome - and their doctrine, in my humble opinion, is the most Biblical. Their beginnings reminded me of the book of Acts. Sadly, yes, they have lost the vision of their beginnings and have picked up a lot of baggage. I think you allude to the reason - they have gotten their eyes off of Jesus. So, may the Lord bless your efforts and hold on to those Biblical truths - don't throw them away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to this comment! The early Anabaptists had a burning love for God and desire to live out His written word. With time, many Anabaptists retained the living out part (practices), but lost the "first love for God" part. Let us return to the first love part, retain the practice part, and always remember that we will never be more spiritual then we are Biblical!

      Delete
  10. God bless you always Abbey!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Abby! Seriously, I have read this three times now! I cried as I read it- I have breathed in every one of those lies. May you feel Jesus walking with you as you break them... Praying that he will show you truth as you show others truth! Thank you for reminding me of our courageous ancestors :) And yes, may we break through that ceiling and find our first love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank-you so much for this post Abby! Amen and Amen a thousand times! I applaud you and stand beside you as a fellow Anabaptist who longs to have the fire of our ancestors!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this revelation God has shown you Abby! It is for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do not know you, Abby. But this post moved me deeply. You are certainly not alone in the lies you have believed about yourself. What I love about this is that God is faithful, and He is Truth. He's so much bigger than our heritage. Blessings as you follow this call He has placed on your life and influence other Anabaptist people to embrace who God is calling them to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Rosemary, and thanks for the encouragement! It's a crazy journey, and sometimes I have no idea what it all means for me personally, but He's telling me He'll show me when the time is right. Blessings to you as well as you choose HIM over everything else!

      Delete