Barefoot Missionary

Barefoot Missionary

9.12.2013

The next chapter!

The last few weeks Jesus has been taking me on a journey of worship.  He’s been showing me that it’s no longer me desiring His presence just because I really like hanging out with Him, but because His presence is all that will train and qualify me for what He’s calling me to. 
I need His presence.

He’s been teaching me to rest, and I’ve repented of and renounced so much striving, performance, religion—all the lies that tell me I can earn the favor of God.  And I’m finally seeing that all He really wants from me is just to celebrate Him, to dance for Him, to rest.

He kept telling me to dream bigger dreams, to not limit the work He wants to do, to not be realistic in what I aim for.  Because as a friend told me back in Amsterdam, “Realism kills passion.  And Jesus sure isn’t realistic!”

And in the midst of my worship, my resting, my dreaming...God was working.


Just a week and half ago, I met a girl who knew a girl who knew a girl running a safe house.  And this safe house just happened to be looking for live-in staff.
 And in one brief moment, God took what was my biggest dream a month ago, and said “Nah bro, let’s just start here.” 

BOOM.

So sometime in the next few weeks I’ll be moving to Oasis of Hope (http://oasisofhopeusa.org/home) for a year: the first safe house in Pennsylvania for victims of domestic minor sex trafficking-- trafficking of American kids within the U.S. borders.  I’ll be live-in staff at the home, assisting with daily life with the girls, supporting them however I'm needed. 

And honestly, now that it’s here, I feel super unqualified.  But Jesus has been showing me that I have His presence and that’s all I really need.
Just like Moses protested that he couldn’t free the Israelites from Pharaoh's rule, and God’s immediate answer is ‘I am with you...’ (Ex. 3:11-12)
Just like Jesus told Martha that ‘one thing is needed’- His presence. (Luke 10:42)
And Isaiah 61: “I have anointed you and qualified you to preach the Gospel of good tidings to the meek, the poor, and the afflicted...” (Amplified Bible)

So I say yes.


 And I’m already anticipating what’s next because this will be hard and powerful and training... but it’s only the beginning.  Jesus is now giving me dreams for entire cities, for nations, for the world.  And the crazy thing?  I found out about this safe house opportunity about an hour after I broke all the lies I had believed about being raised Mennonite. (see previous post
If you ask me, that's pretty cool!


[I’ll be raising my own support while I’m at the home, so if you're interested in giving towards that, you can donate via the link on the right of this page.  
Thank you all for your support, encouragement, prayers... I’m so excited for this next chapter of my life and will try to keep you all updated!]

7 comments:

  1. God-speed, Abigail! Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO EXCITED. I think God is too, In my opinion I think He's really moving full steam ahead and it reminds me a lot of Rees Howells.
    I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl this awesome!!! It makes my heart sooooo happy:))) you shine Jesus so keep it up!!! Love you! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Oh, praise Jesus for opening these doors! He is ever faithful. Rest assured that His grace is sufficient for you and His power is made PERFECT in weakness! You will continue to be in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jess. You bless me. And I'm so excited about where He's leading you too! ;)

      Delete
  5. Abby!!!! I love reading your posts and tonight I needed to be reminded that I need to dream bigger dreams!!! I love your heart for God and for your love for the people that are in sex trafficking !! don't ever give up!

    ReplyDelete