Barefoot Missionary

Barefoot Missionary

9.29.2012

Just Ask.

How many times do I not receive simply because I don't ask?

I've been pondering this question over the past few days as I've been in the Philippines.  I heard many stories and testimonies from my new friends about how God has provided so much that they needed, simply because they asked and believed that God would come through.

So many times I ask, and while I believe that God can answer, I don't believe that He actually will.

From the very beginning of my trip, when I first started thinking about this, about truly asking God for the things I desire, I was very hestitant.  "If I just ask God for the things I need, or even just the things I want, I'm treating God like my waiter, not my Lord."  But I kept coming across so many verses about God granting us the desires of our hearts...

"Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4)
"Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.  For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."  (Matt. 18:19-20)
"And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."  (Matt. 21:22)
"And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask anything in My name, I will do it." (John 14:13-14)
"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you." (John 15:7)

I think there are a few prerequisites... My heart needs to be in tune with God, and I need to have faith.  But I really think alot of times God just wants me to ask so He can give.  Like my Filipina friend Betche who simply told God that she would really like an ice cream cone but didn't have the money for it... And a few minutes later a man comes along and buys ice cream for his kids and offers to buy her some too.  The more I learn about God, the more I see how deeply personal He is... Yes, He wants my desires to match His, He wants me to yearn for His Will, but He also cares about the simple, seemingly selfish things like ice cream on a hot day.  Because He dances and sings over me.  Because He loves me. 

I haven't got this all figured out... Because sometimes the things I pray for aren't God's best.  And Jesus has not by any means promised me a rich, prosperous, easy life.  But at the same time, I don't want to miss out on the blessings He wants to give me, simply because I'm too scared to ask. 

My faith-friend Betche

{{I had a great time in the Philippines... Lots of processing-- seeking God's Will for the future, praying for more grace and wisdom in my life.  My favorite part was the slums-- surrounded by almost-Jamaican-accent kids, teaching Jesus-songs, laughing with them at my terrible Tagalog pronunciation, feeling like Katie Davis.  Overwhelmed with the realization that all I really want is Jesus.  And wherever He calls me, whatever He asks me to do, it really doesn't matter.  Because He is a million times more than enough.}}




3 comments:

  1. yess, He is enough! He is!! love you and know you are where Abba wants you... mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you please please post more??
    I love this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. definition of trust: 'trust in God is not based on great theological words to explain it - it's based on past experiences & knowing He can do the same for present circumstances.' i've had this in my Bible since 2001 & learned the truth of this in the darkest time of my life...i LOVE it! :) Esther

    ReplyDelete