Barefoot Missionary

Barefoot Missionary

5.03.2013

The men.

This week I was challenged by my all-too-common stereotypes of the men I see walking these streets.

Pedophile. Sex addict. Pervert.

To be honest, I see the women as victims and the men as perpetrators.
And when you speak about minors working in prostitution, they are absolutely victims.  And the same goes for the countless people who have been literally forced and tricked into this work.

But the truth is that there are also women who enter the sex industry as a way to make money, a way to support their families.  They may hate the work, but they have still made a choice to enter into it.  Some girls are sick of their unloving family situations and are attracted to the seemingly glamorous lifestyle of guys, money, pretty clothes.  These women may be victims of their cultural backgrounds, victims of poverty, victims of a lack of education, but they aren't really victims of the men.

When I view the men as the perpetrators, I dehumanize them.  Yeah, there are men walking these streets who are pedophiles.  But the majority of them are broken men looking for love the only place they can think to search for it.  They are boys who have never been told that they have what it takes, never been told they are loved.  These men realize that 15 minutes or half an hour with a girl is not going to satisfy them- but it comes closer to love than anything else they've found.

Jesus has been sweetly breaking my heart for the men.  Ultimately, this monster of prostitution and sex trafficking can only be brought down by Jesus capturing and changing the hearts of the men.  I could rescue every woman and child currently working in prostitution, but the industry would continue, because there would still be a demand.  If I allow myself to stereotype the men, I release myself of the responsibility to reach out to them.  And my job, as a follower of Jesus the Redeemer, is to speak love and life and worth over the person right in front of me.  Whether he's a hurting man looking for affirmation or a woman standing in a window. 

So when you pray for the girls, pray for the men, too.  Jesus came to save all broken people.
Even the men.


Every time I am overwhelmed by this crazy issue, I am reminded of Jesus and His incredible power.

Last week a few of us got to share the Gospel with 2 young guy involved in some kind of shady business on the streets.  They were speechless when we explained how much Jesus loves them... because He loves them enough to tell us to speak to someone wearing red.  And both of the guys were wearing red jackets.

Earlier this week I got to hear the testimony of an ex-trafficker and how our loving Jesus pursued him and completely transformed his life.  And now he can't stop talking about Jesus to everyone he meets.

And today, getting to hear from a formerly prostituted woman (who actually spoke on the 'Nefarious' movie) and seeing how Jesus is using her testimony to bless so many people.

I am reminded of the life of Joseph: "As for you, you meant to harm me, but God intended it for a good purpose, so he could preserve the lives of many people..." (Genesis 50:20)
How's that for redemption?  Taking the ugly, destroying schemes of the enemy and turning them into beautiful testimonies for His glory.
Come on!

3 comments:

  1. good stuff, Abby! truth is, not a one of us know what/where we would do/be if we would've been in another's shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Abby. We pray every day for you as you go into the wheat field, the lions den, as a fisherwoman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goosebumps. I've been guilty of this shrug-off-the-shoulder-responsibility too, because I don't want to care for men with evil and brokenness in their hearts. But how unlike my Jesus that is...

    ReplyDelete